Tuesday 21 March 2017

Visit to Uttar Pradesh (Post 4)

19.3.17,  Sundiay

Today my mother returned from her native village in Uttar Pradesh. During my upbringing, I never really visited my village. Even when I did, I wasn’t very keen on village life. However, today having seen city people and the experiences I have had, I find the life on the other side more intriguing.

My mother and I got into a hearfelt session which went on for six long hours. A discussion which was a rewind into the past. Time like ice just melted away and memories like water flooded in. A space where present stared at past.

We discussed how much her village got changed, condition of education, infrastructure, roads, civic facilities, neighbourhood, food, farming, besides my maternal Aunt and Uncle. My mother was all praise for her niece and nephews who have done well for themselves despite limited resources.

What particularly stood out in her experiences was the simplicity of village people and generous heart. Unlike city people, they are warm, helpful, trustworthy and honest fellows. Life is much simpler there. What they sow, is cooked and eaten together. The joy is unbeatable. Nothing compared to a restaurant meal, or a meal eaten in front of TV. We complicate life and then cry about it.
   
My Uncle is a farmer. All his life he has lead a simple life. His life stories were served along with the supper which made the meal more delicious. She also loved going to the fields and harvesting mustard seeds. The freshness of the farms just filled in the void a city life dents in. The same neighbourhood where she grew up along with my grandparents was an emotional experience every time she pays a visit there. She says “there is magic in the soil. Something inside comes alive. It’s my turf.” 


Often, we got question in English exam  where we would be asked to contrast city life from the village. Back then, I didn’t understand the depth of the real difference which I do now.  It lies in big heart. People in city are more smart which causes problems within which they get embroiled. Village people are simple and sweet. They enjoy in the moment and live for today. Isn’t life just about the passing moment? Then, why fret so much and waste so much energy over things which are beyond our control.

Do read my next post. Bye for now.  

No comments:

My son's birthday Gems Choco Cake (eggless)

Today is my son's fourth birthday. I don't know where the time has flown. It seems he was born just yesterday. Well, I bet all the ...