Saturday 1 June 2019

Ask often what makes you happy

This is an underrated question: seldom asked, rarely answered. In the whirlwind of chasing materialistic goals, people sideline this important facet which can bring fulfillment. I ask this question 'What makes me happy?' often and over the years, gathered inputs through experiments and experiences, carefully noticing my responses viz-a-viz innumerable things I do. The inputs which I got, I immersed more in, and getting closer and closer to living a complete life.

I will list down things which make super happy:

1. Writing- The craft of pen is my passion. Nothing in this world makes me  happier than being with my laptop and writing down stories about people, places and varied experiences. Being an alumni of India's premier and often ranked No 1 college by media polls, Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC), I always wrote with elan. I also wrote for Press Trust of India when I was recruited on campus in the capacity of a Journalist. I did features for PTI as a cub reporter and they were picked up by newspapers and electronic media. If you are doing a feature for news agency, chances are less to get a byline . Often, news agency gets credited.

With time my writing evolved and I began writing for The Times of India, The Hindu, Woman's Era magazine, many online magazines and journals. 

Enclosing few links below: 


Check out my previous blogposts for more on my writing. In short, writing necessitates my survival. I am alive because I can write, I want to write and I will die if I don't.

2. Exercise-I am a fitness freak. I exercise an hour a day. It keeps me away from daily stress and reorients my system to act productively. I have learnt over the years that it's important to add variety to one's workout sessions. I do yoga, gym, pilates, morning walk depending upon my routine and mood. An hour is a must. It releases oxytocin called a happy hormone. 

                            


3. Meditation: Barring yoga, all other exercises restrict only to body. Meditation brings back my center. It reinforces calmness in my life. It makes me content with what I have versus what I desire. And that contentment brings happiness. I feel closer to God. He becomes like my best friend who in my darkest hour is there to guide me, nourish my soul. No one can click while I am sitting for meditation as it's at 3 am. Best time to wake up is when everyone else is asleep. Try it to feel the divine connection.

4. Dressing right: I always dress right whether I am out or inside my home. It intantly alleviates negativity and puts me in a happy space.  It makes me confident of presenting myself to the world, my interactions become smooth and easy. When you care to look your best, it adds grace to overall appearence, people notice your personality. It's a part of who you really are. I had done a post on this subject. CLICK here to read.

5. Singing-Whenever I am not doing any of the above things, I take a short break and listen to songs sung by legends Rafi, Lata, Asha, Sonu and practice on my own. I don't how I fare on performance count  that you can tell me better. I am not trained in any vocal art. I take training from our rich legacy. I feel really happy recording each of my compositions. Sharing a recording dedicated to my son. This video has a picture of my son when he was three months old and I had dressed him as Shri Krishna on his first Janamasthami. 


6. Baking-I always wanted to bake. Somewhere in my mind it was registered that it would make me feel better about myself. I began baking when my son was born. He has a sweet tooth. So my aim was to bake cakes, pastries, muffins, chocolates all at home and serve him to avoid any dental carnage in his mouth. I have done a  recent post on baking. Click here to read.

7. Watching interviews- If I am exhausted, I turn to watching interviews conducted with precision of legends, luminaries who can add a dose of inspiration to my life.

Posting an interview of writer Salim Khan. Really loved it....


There are many more....

So, my friend, what makes you happy? If you find it, shouldn't you do more of it?

No comments:

My son's birthday Gems Choco Cake (eggless)

Today is my son's fourth birthday. I don't know where the time has flown. It seems he was born just yesterday. Well, I bet all the ...